harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Mladen Turk <mt...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [arch] Modular JVM component diagram
Date Tue, 16 Aug 2005 18:23:49 GMT
Torsten Curdt wrote:
> Only thing I'd like to throw in the pool
> is...
>
> I'd like the vm to be flexible enough to
> support native continuation in java. Of
> course the first (big) goal is to become
> standard compliant ...but I would like
> to see at least the *possibility* to hook
> in something low-level like that without
> the need of fancy byte code rewriting.

Right.
I suppose you meant about light weight JNI calls :)
Like I said in '[arch] VM/Classlibrary Interface (take 2)'
thread; most of the time there is no need to
go trough the entire JNI call stack.
Most of the classpath calls should be made simple
returning processor atomic types, so the cost for
calling the native should not exceed the call for
and JVM inline.

Regards,
Mladen.