harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [arch] Modular JVM component diagram
Date Mon, 29 Aug 2005 11:36:39 GMT

On Aug 27, 2005, at 4:55 AM, David Tanzer wrote:

> Some questions: Are these the actual headers we program against? If
> yes, this would assume we use C or C++ to implement the VM, or at
> least
> these components, right?
>
> Sorry if I'm asking something which has already been resolved, but I
> was just searching the mailing list archives and I found much
> controversy about which language to use, but I didn't find a
> resolution.
> Anyway, I thing C/C++ would be a good choice to implement performance
> critical parts of the VM.

I think that this problem will be solved organically, as we start
creating code and accepting donations, I'd expect that we'd let
people do both as we worked out some architecture issues.  Then, with
what we've learned, I'd expect we'd restart with a clearer roadmap
that will probably include both C/C++ and Java.  Pascal is right out.

> Another suggestion: IMHO it would be good to use the Java Coding
> Conventions in C/C++ code too.

Wow!  There's a twist on that bikeshed that I haven't seen before :)

> While this has the disadvantage that
> the coding style in the C/C++ code might be inconsistent in some
> places
> it would have the great advantage that all code (and all interfaces)
> we write use the same coding style.

Yes, that's true.  OTOH, having two styles helps you realize what
language you're looking at :)  My biggest concerns about coding style
are safety and clarity - use {} even for one liners, don't get cute
and write perl-like statements just 'cuz, and document, document,
document.  I'd be happy w/ one style...

geir

geirm@apache.org