harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Tom Tromey <tro...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: Security
Date Fri, 01 Jul 2005 23:19:13 GMT

Ben> I can't think of _any_ other interesting security properties that Java
Ben> has and C lacks. Am I missing something?

Probably not.  At some point any VM has to do untrusted things.  There
may be reasons that this "window" is bigger or smaller, and smaller is
probably preferable, but it doesn't seem to me to be a necessary
consequence of the implementation language.

That said, it does make sense to think not only about how to implement
security, but also how to verify it, and likewise how to ensure the VM
remains secure in the face of a lot of mutation.

For checking we'll probably be adding tests to Mauve for various
security things as we start working on the security infrastructure in
libgcj.  These kinds of tests still miss a lot though.

One idea we've discussed a little is writing new FindBugs checks to
look for the required security calls.  But this doesn't protect us
from bugs in the native code or bugs allowing access to non-standard
weird things that shouldn't be generally accessible (we have some
interesting code in gnu.gcj.*).

Tom