harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Florian Weimer ...@deneb.enyo.de>
Subject Re: Security
Date Mon, 04 Jul 2005 15:16:46 GMT
* Ben Laurie:

> So, it seems to me that when you say its easier to write secure code in
> Java than C what you really mean is that its easier to write code free
> of buffer overflows in Java than C.
>
> I can't think of _any_ other interesting security properties that Java
> has and C lacks. Am I missing something?

Memory management bugs soemtimes result in security bugs as well.

But with respect to JVM security, I don't think such trivialities are
important.  Writing a robust verifier/optimizer/native code generator
combination is difficult in any programming language (especially if
your design is somewhat flawed from a security POV 8-).