harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Florian Weimer ...@deneb.enyo.de>
Subject Re: Security
Date Mon, 04 Jul 2005 15:44:37 GMT
* Joel Neely:

> Typed, constrained object references vs. untyped, unconstrained
> pointers.

Yes, but at some point in the compilation process, you have to flatten
"safe" object references to "unsafe" machine addresses.  You can defer
this to the last instant with typed assembly language, but I don't
think this implementation technique is common.

Or are you talking about the JVM/JIT compiler implementation language?
I think it has less impact on the security of the system than the
overall design choices (for example, do you want to guard against
unsoundness of the Java type system?).