harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Minutes of First Harmony Meeting
Date Thu, 07 Jul 2005 14:40:35 GMT

On Jul 6, 2005, at 1:50 PM, Dalibor Topic wrote:

> Mark Wielaard wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> On Mon, 2005-07-04 at 22:17 -0700, Weldon Washburn wrote:
>>

>>> Also, the following mail archive says that Apache has issues with
>>> CPL code:
>>>
>>> http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/www-legal-discuss/
>>> 200503.mbox/%3C26645680-8D0F-11D9-ACFB-000A95D41A40@apache.org%3E
>>>
>>> Does MMTK exist under any other license?
>>>

>> That seems to be similar to how we (FSF/GNU) look at the CPL. It is a
>> free software license. But since it is incompatible with the GPL (has
>> different requirements on distribution) we are happy to use it for
>> standalone use in applications, but we won't use such code bases for
>> creating larger derivative works.
>>

> Yeah. Ideally bits and pieces, as they are contributed to Harmony
> would
> be licensed under the Apache license or even more liberal licenses,

Allright.  I'll bite.  What's more liberal?  I consider that the AL
is the most liberal of the commonly found languages as it gives the
users full freedom to do as they choose not only with the licensed
software, but with any derivative works or additional innovation they
may combine with it...

if the answer starts with a "G", please just email me off-list :)

> and
> the work on fixing the license incompatibility between Apache license
> (2) and GPL (2) would result in the legal harmonization allowing the
> reuse of bits and chunks of Harmony in GPLd projects as well.

Yep!

geir

geirm@apache.org