harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@apache.org>
Subject Re: GNU Classpath 0.16 "Harmony!" released
Date Sun, 10 Jul 2005 19:13:54 GMT

On Jul 8, 2005, at 5:46 AM, Tim Ellison wrote:

> Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:

>>> Well It depends on the Harmony goals at the first place.
>>> I hope the Harmony will offer more then just
>>> Solaris/Sparc, Win/x86, Linux/i386/amd64.
>>>

> Can we reach a concensus on getting something started on Windows/
> x86 and
> Linux/i386 initially (as the popular development platforms)?  Then...

That works for me, but we'll be adding OS X as that's my platform,
and I suspect for now will be my problem :)

[SNIP]

> This seems like the most prudent approach -- agreeing upon a
> particular
> VM/ClassLibrary interface that will be suitable for all comers.

Yes - so lets rekindle that thread. We currently have the GNU
Classpath interface to look at as a starting point, but I'm really
interested in what other approaches have been taken.  I'm not a fan
of doing things via java.lang, and I am guessing there are other ways.

I'll start a new thread.  Hope to see you there :)

>> We also want to be sure that if we do any class library work
>> here,  that
>> we modularize in such a way that parts can be repurposed  elsewhere -
>> like swing or other such uglies...
>>

> Agreed.  A good modularity story will allow flexibility in combining
> components from different sources, and flexibility in component
> development.

That's why we're here. :)

geir

geirm@apache.org