harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@apache.org>
Subject Re: GNU Classpath 0.16 "Harmony!" released
Date Thu, 07 Jul 2005 14:38:41 GMT

On Jul 6, 2005, at 12:55 PM, Mladen Turk wrote:

> Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:
>
>> On Jul 5, 2005, at 7:04 AM, Mladen Turk wrote:
>>

>>> IMHO the major issue is to put all the requirements for the
>>> classpath on the paper, and then to see if the GNU classpath is
>>> usable, and if not, can it be adopted to fulfill all the
>>> requirements.
>>>
>> That's not an unreasonable idea.
>> Thanks for volunteering :)
>>
>> Go for it!
>>

> Well It depends on the Harmony goals at the first place.
> I hope the Harmony will offer more then just
> Solaris/Sparc, Win/x86, Linux/i386/amd64.

I assume that whatever people want to do, we will do.  I hope that it
can be ported - if there's interest - to any platform out there.
BSD, for example, and embedded.  Also, a much wider hardware matrix,
including PPC, Itanium, etc...

> Right now the GNU classpath is GNU tools only. Trying to
> compile that on WIN32 or WIN64 is very painful without
> going trough some posix layer.
> Also the GUI part is GTK only, so even with using things like
> gtk-win32 it adds an extra layer in between.

Great - so factor this into the class library requirements paper that
you volunteered for :)

> Anyhow, like said at the beginning, I think we should build our
> own classpath. I can volunteer for that, using APR as a
> OS abstraction layer. For me using GNU classpath could give
> some jump start, but in the long run, we'll have to build
> our own classpath.

That's not unreasonable - we'll do it if there's interest.   As for
now, as you note, we can work w/ GNU Classpath as a jumpstart and see
where it takes us.

I think that we should remain committed to making things as pluggable
as possible, and will re-kindle the VM/Classlibrary discussion we
started a while back.

We also want to be sure that if we do any class library work here,
that we modularize in such a way that parts can be repurposed
elsewhere - like swing or other such uglies...

geir

geirm@apache.org