harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Tim Ellison <t.p.elli...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Class library componentization
Date Fri, 22 Jul 2005 13:31:53 GMT
Ian Darwin wrote:
> Tim Ellison wrote:
>
>> Here's a list of the packages in J2SE 5.0, and my strawman grouping of
>> packages into 'components' (terminology to be agreed :-) ).
>>
>> The goal is to (a) stimulate discussion, and (b) think about the
>> components that we should declare with well-defined interfaces to other
>> components (I'm thinking of OSGi bundles here).
>>

> Put jar and zip together.

Agreed.

> Break "lang" out from the other three in "luni".

I don't care deeply, but why?  I'm interested whether you see 'lang' and
'uni' as components that would have a life independently of one another.
 Remember that I'm also proposing a set of kernel classes that are
VM-specific.  We don't want to go too fine-grained.

> Maybe put "text" into
> that group  (who consistently & correctly remembers whether Locale is in
> text or util? :-)).

There is a wad of logic to get right for the bidi, word/line/sentence
boundary detection, etc.  I can imagine a world with updates required
here that are independent of other components.

--

Tim Ellison (t.p.ellison@gmail.com)
IBM Java technology centre, UK.