harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <pe...@realityforge.org>
Subject Re: [legal] Mailing list policy
Date Fri, 15 Jul 2005 01:03:05 GMT
Mark Wielaard wrote:
>>But shouldn't this go both ways - should not anything contributed to any
>>of those projects be able to be shared with Harmony? AFAIK many of the
>>contributors make a conscious decision about which licenses they will or
>>will not contribute their work under.
>

> We can clearly only decide about our own Harmony work. And what we
> accept as contributions in that space. I would love to go both ways with
> code from already free and hopefully soon liberated proprietary code
> bases, but that might not be possible in the short term.

right.

> For Harmony we can lead by example. We are starting here with a clean
> slate. Lets not by default adopt a policy that would prevent adoption of
> the code by most of the existing projects. I started this effort
> together with the others to build bridges between the existing projects.
> That is a long process with many steps. Lets not make the mistake to
> close the bridge as the first step by adopting a default license policy
> that prevents cooperation with the existing free software projects.

I don't disagree with what you are saying but I am not sure there is any
need for action at this time. Geir has said that there are people who
are trying to work out the license issues between ASL/GPL code at the
moment. (I assume people inside Apache foundation and FSF). I think it
may be a good idea to assume that this will eventually work out and
people who want to use ASL code in GPL-ed works are able to. If this is
wrong feel free to speak up. Until such a time where these talks break
down or "fail" I think it may be more productive to steer away from more
license discussions. What do you think?

---
Cheers,

Peter Donald
"I have never killed a man, but I have read
many obituaries with great pleasure."
                           - Clarence Darrow