harmony-dev mailing list archives

From PJ Cabrera <pjc_apa...@alias.hotpop.com>
Subject Re: GNU Classpath 0.16 "Harmony!" released
Date Wed, 13 Jul 2005 13:20:25 GMT

On 7/10/05, Geir Magnusson Jr. <geirm@apache.org> wrote:

 > That works for me, but we'll be adding OS X as that's my platform,
 > and I suspect for now will be my problem :)

I'm also using OS X as my personal dev platform, so I'll help with this
"problem" as I can.

And a big problem it is. If we go with GNU Classpath as the basis of the
Harmony API, AWT and Swing will depend on GTK+ 2.4 being installed on
OSX, through DarwinPorts or Fink. And X11 needs to be running to display
the GTK+ based widgets. Note I'm not putting GNU Classpath down, the
GTK+ problem is more an issue with OSX not having an Aqua implementation
of GTK+ 2.x.

In my not so humble opinion, SwingWT is a better alternative, as it uses
SWT to implement Swing. SWT on Unixen and Linux, it uses either Motif or
GTK+ 2.0. The lower requirement means it can run on Debian Woody, for
example, with OpenMotif. With GTK+ 2.0, it can run on RedHat Linux 7.0
and variants. These are still deployed in some parts of the world. We
don't want to leave those users without a fully-certified FOSS JVM, do we?

And on Windows and Mac OS, SWT uses native widgets. So the majority of
those users don't have to go through complicated or unnecessary
installations/incantations just to run a fully-certified FOSS JVM.

This is just the top usability problem when trying to build and run
SableVM and GNU Classpath on OSX the other day. There are build problems
still to be resolved "the right way" (I just hacked the makefiles to get
it to build, and had to use Fink to get many of the requirement
packages, as they weren't part of the base OSX full dev tools install.)

Again, just my not so humble opinion. Flame-retardant suit is on order
for next-day delivery. :-)

PJ Cabrera
< pjcabrera at snapplatform dot org >

http://snapplatform.org