harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Mladen Turk <mt...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [arch] VM/Classlibrary Interface (take 2)
Date Mon, 11 Jul 2005 18:10:06 GMT
Archie Cobbs wrote:
> Mladen Turk wrote:
>
>> The major problem is the way how the native OS abstraction layer is
>> called. JNI is used as a single native interface from the ground up
>> and didn't change much for all those years.
>

> Almost all VMs have their own "proprietary" non-JNI native method
> interface that is much more efficient.

I didn't speak on "non-JNI", but rather making sense to
the JNI (JVM internally).

For calling a simple native methods that don't need the complete
JVM runtime status, the call itself should not have higher cost
the calling any non-inlinable method.

So just by marking that the native method as 'simple' will make
classpath interface much faster.
The majority of native methods don't need the exception mechanism
or new object creation. All that can be done in the JVM itself
by properly writing the classpath itself (of course if the atomic
access to the native functions is low).

Regards,
Mladen.