harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Ben Laurie <...@algroup.co.uk>
Subject Re: Security
Date Fri, 01 Jul 2005 17:04:55 GMT
Neil Macneale wrote:

> Hello All-
>
> I've been lurking for awhile and I think the significant discussion
> about security in the Harmony JVM has been missing. Considering such
> ideas as hot compiling code and making it executable sets off big alarm
> bells in my head.
>
> One huge pitfall in many software projects is putting off security until
> later. Auditing of code becomes much more difficult as the code base
> become large. Furthermore, as code grows old, people forget how it works.
>
> Somehow the java gods have convinced the world that java is secure. But
> that all relies on a the JVM executing as documented and with no
> security holes of it's own. The number of ways in which a JVM could open
> security vulnerabilities in a system is enormous, and this is amplified
> by the fact that the language it self has a security model which is
> fairly complex.
>
> One of the reasons I am in favor of implementing as much of the JVM in
> Java is that I think it is easier to write secure code in Java than in
> C/C++. A small core in C/C++ would be reasonable, but from a reviewers
> standpoint it is more difficult to guarantee that a piece of C code is
> secure. Generally speaking, of course.
>
> I'd be happy to read people's code and look for bugs, and I may end up
> doing this just for yucks. Are other people concerned about this?
> Thoughts, comments?

I was initially tempted to say "those who do not read the archives are
doomed to repeat them" but I guess this is (yet another) slightly
different slant on the debate.

So, it seems to me that when you say its easier to write secure code in
Java than C what you really mean is that its easier to write code free
of buffer overflows in Java than C.

I can't think of _any_ other interesting security properties that Java
has and C lacks. Am I missing something?

Cheers,

Ben.