harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Mark Wielaard <m...@klomp.org>
Subject Re: a harmonious and inclusive community
Date Sat, 23 Jul 2005 11:00:02 GMT
On Sat, 2005-07-23 at 12:17 -0700, Martin Olsson wrote:
> Mark Wielaard wrote:
> > Almost every existing project has a problem with the Apache License just
> > because it isn't compatible with the GPL. This is infuriating (to both
> > sides!).
>
> I just joined the list so maybe I missed something, but
> could you clarify what you mean here?

No. :) ASLv2/GPLv2 are incompatible. It sucks. Kick the ASF/FSF legal
committee members to make progress to work that out.

Seriously, the whole point of that post was to get going and assume the
license problems will be worked out. We want a solution for the short
term for this project and I have brought a vote to that effect:
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-harmony-dev/200507.mbox/%3c1122066085.7915.278.camel@localhost.localdomain%3e
When that or something similar is accepted we can assume things are OK
for harmony. Then there are some people who have some creative legal
hacks to hopefully get the ASL GPL compatible and that will be it.

Please, please, please concentrate on the technical issues raised.
Investigate all the technical proposals, the work done by all the groups
that want to cooperate on this. Try "Hello, World!", Eclipse, Jonas,
look at the gump results of kaffe, read the interface designs posted,
play with the tools available and read some of the archives. Give some
technical feedback based on that. The political/license issues will get
worked out. People are really motivated to get that done.

Cheers,

Mark