harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Mark Wielaard <m...@klomp.org>
Subject Re: [legal] Mailing list policy
Date Wed, 20 Jul 2005 17:46:38 GMT
Hi,

On Fri, 2005-07-15 at 11:03 +1000, Peter Donald wrote:
> > For Harmony we can lead by example. We are starting here with a clean
> > slate. Lets not by default adopt a policy that would prevent adoption of
> > the code by most of the existing projects. I started this effort
> > together with the others to build bridges between the existing projects.
> > That is a long process with many steps. Lets not make the mistake to
> > close the bridge as the first step by adopting a default license policy
> > that prevents cooperation with the existing free software projects.
>
> I don't disagree with what you are saying but I am not sure there is any
> need for action at this time. Geir has said that there are people who
> are trying to work out the license issues between ASL/GPL code at the
> moment. (I assume people inside Apache foundation and FSF). I think it
> may be a good idea to assume that this will eventually work out and
> people who want to use ASL code in GPL-ed works are able to. If this is
> wrong feel free to speak up. Until such a time where these talks break
> down or "fail" I think it may be more productive to steer away from more
> license discussions. What do you think?

Yes, I would like to steer away from more license discussions. But I
would like to do it by adopting a default policy that we can all live
with now and not postpone things till some future time. I like to act
now and not have to negotiate on every code/discussion on the license so
we can try out and play with it in any of the existing efforts.

The Harmony project actually started from some of use being sick of the
constant back and forth between ASF and FSF on details of licensing. Not
that we think that these issues aren't important, or that we don't want
to see them solved. Far from it. But we wanted to do something together
now. That is why I don't really understand why some people are still
advocating a default license policy that prevents us from easily and
effectively work together.

I see the Apache/LGPL issue is on the board schedule for this month.
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/www-legal-discuss/200507.mbox/%
3cc5e6325505070416385617e4f@mail.gmail.com%3e
Hopefully that will indeed be the start of resolving all these license
incompatibility-silliness.

Cheers,

Mark