harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Robin Garner <Robin.Gar...@anu.edu.au>
Subject Re: Minutes of First Harmony Meeting
Date Tue, 05 Jul 2005 05:45:45 GMT
I don't know where you get the idea that downloading JikesRVM or any
component thereof 'contaminates' you.  The e-mail you refer to talks
about redistributing a work derived from a CPL-ed work as part of an
Apache distribution.

While MMTk is a component of JikesRVM, it is maintained by a distinct
subgroup of the JikesRVM community.  If Harmony were to use MMTk, I'm
sure we could make it available under an appropriate license.

In any case, the development model of MMTk is to be portable, as
reflected in the Rotor and JNode ports, and to maintain a common code
base for all platforms it supports.  There would then be no issue of
distributing a derived work.

Can't you just work on the same basis as people are with Classpath -
just proceed as though the license issues will eventually be worked
out ?

Regards,
Robin