harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Geir Magnusson Jr. <ge...@apache.org>
Subject Re: AWT/Swing
Date Tue, 19 Jul 2005 00:27:42 GMT

On Jul 16, 2005, at 1:39 AM, Sven de Marothy wrote:

> On Sat, 2005-07-16 at 00:13 -0400, Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:
>
> [snip:Blahblahblah, qt licensing]
>

>> That's no fun.  Remember, we're happy w/ people innovating and doing
>> closed source impls of their work if they choose.
>>

> Well, you can't do a closed source impl of GTK (LGPL) either. And Open
> Motif is the same. SWT is copyleft and out of the question
> entirely. So
> where do you want to draw the proverbial line anyway? Write your own
> ASL-licensed widget toolkit? Reimplement the whole operating system?
>
> It doesn't stop people from doing closed source impls either. Although
> it requires a license. OTOH, the LGPL does add certain requirements to
> the code that links to it as well.
>
> Anyway, I frankly don't care. If Harmony doesn't want to use them,
> then
> don't. I'm more concerned with what I want, and what the people
> actually
> using Classpath want, not what this mailing list wants.

Right!

>>> Just to put things into perspective: You can also make the argument
>>> that
>>> a set of Windows or OS X peers wouldn't be distributable by
>>> Classpath or
>>> Harmony either, since they need a set of commercial libraries that
>>> require you to purchase Windows or OS X.
>>>

>> Why?
>>

> This was in response to Rodrigo saying "Harmony can't use Qt". Let's
> forget for a second that Qt is available in FOSS versions, and just
> consider it as a proprietary library:
>
> Where's the fundamental difference between building peers on one
> proprietary library (Qt) and the proprietary libraries which happen to
> be distributed with proprietary OSes? I don't see any.

In terms of "proprietaryness", no - there is no difference.  But I
read it as we'd force people to go get Windows or OS X (I'd vote for
OS X...) in order to use Harmony, where we'd be counting on the
required software being there for those that use Windows or OS X
because it ships with the os...

geir

geir@optonline.net