harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Tom Tromey <tro...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: ClassLib implementations WAS some ideas
Date Fri, 03 Jun 2005 17:22:35 GMT
>>>>> "Sven" == Sven de Marothy <sven@physto.se> writes:

Sven> Depending on non-public parts of other API packages is to be
Sven> avoided as far as possible. And if there is Classpath-specific
Sven> behaviour in the public API, then that is likely a bug. (or the
Sven> absence of a Sun bug)

One thing I've seen in user code is that it sometimes incorrectly
depends on properties of a particular implementation.  E.g., more than
once I've run across Comparable implementations which are not
symmetric, but which "work" because Sun's collections classes compare
in a certain order.

It isn't impossible that Classpath has some kind of subtle dependency
like this somewhere.  However, stuff like that, if it even exists,
would just be a bug.

>> i.e. how possible would it be to use say java.sql.* with another
>> implementation of java.lang?

Sven> Why wouldn't it be possible? It'd be horrible coding if it were
Sven> any other way.

Totally agreed.  Most code in Classpath doesn't use native code, or VM
code, or anything but the public API of classes in other packages.

Tom