harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Ulrich Kunitz <k...@deine-taler.de>
Subject Re: [arch] How much of java.* and friends does Harmony need to write. Was: VM/Classlibrary interface
Date Sun, 05 Jun 2005 22:31:20 GMT
On Sun, 5 Jun 2005, Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:

> > Also from time to time the VM interface has to be extended for new
> > VMs, which have different needs.  This is one reason that the
> > interface isn't yet stable, even for 1.4.
>
> It would be interesting to know why and how it was extended - there's
> something to learn there.  I'm also interested in getting some input from the
> commercial VM developers.

The new features in 1.5 varargs, enums, annotations, and generics
required additions to the class file format. More changes appear
to be introduced to improve debugging (type infos about local
variables).

Tom Tromey has already found a link to an updated class file

http://java.sun.com/docs/books/vmspec/2nd-edition/UpdatedClassFileFormat.pdf

Here is a short and probably incomplete overview over the changes:

varargs: 	ACC_VARARGS, ACC_BRIDGE (?)
enums:   	ACC_ENUM
annotations:	ACC_ANNOTATION

New attributes: EnclosingMethod, Signature (for generics),
                LocalVariableTypeTable,
		RuntimeVisibleAnnotations,
		RuntimeInvisibleAnnotations,
		RumtimeVisibleParameterAnnotations,