harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Nick Lothian" <nloth...@educationau.edu.au>
Subject RE: [Legal] Requirements for Committers
Date Thu, 09 Jun 2005 23:11:46 GMT
> > 8) Employment Limitations
> >
> >     Are you employed as a programmer, systems analyst, or other
> >     IT professional?  If so, you may be an commiter
> >     only if your employer either:
> >
> >     a) signs a Corporate Contribution License Agreement with Apache
> >        and lists you as a designated employee or
> >
> >     b) submits a written authorization for your
> participation in this
> >        project and disclaims any copyright or
> confidentiality interest
> >        in your current or future contributions to this project.
> To me, this is _way_ too restructive.  While this kind of
> statement wouldn't be a problem for me currently, from time
> to time I've been employeed by either a large company or the
> Australian Government, neither of which have any legal rights
> to anything I do out of hours, but who would have conniptions
> if asked to sign an agreement like this.  Simply because the
> pointy haired bosses wouldn't understand what it was about,
> and would go into knee-jerk abnegation-of-responsibility mode.

Same here. I'm currently employed as a contractor (so technically I'm
self employed - at least under Australian tax law). I'd hate to think
about what I'd have to go through to get something like that signed.

> What is wrong with a personal statement confirming that no
> third party has a claim on the IP of the contribution.  Seems
> to work for the CPL, but then IANAL ...

IMPORTANT: This e-mail, including any attachments, may contain private or confidential information.
If you think you may not be the intended recipient, or if you have received this e-mail in
error, please contact the sender immediately and delete all copies of this e-mail. If you
are not the intended recipient, you must not reproduce any part of this e-mail or disclose
its contents to any other party.
This email represents the views of the individual sender, which do not necessarily reflect
those of education.au limited except where the sender expressly states otherwise.
It is your responsibility to scan this email and any files transmitted with it for viruses
or any other defects.
education.au limited will not be liable for any loss, damage or consequence caused directly
or indirectly by this email.

View raw message