harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Nick Lothian" <nloth...@educationau.edu.au>
Subject RE: [Legal] Requirements for Committers
Date Wed, 08 Jun 2005 23:01:04 GMT

> Hi all,
>
> Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:
>
> >     a) Having a copy of src.jar on a computer as long as you never
> >        viewed or edited the contents of the file.
> >
> How many people on this list have NEVER looked (not edited)
> at, say, java.lang.String?
>
> If you want people with extensive java knowledge to
> contribute to Harmony this requirement seems like a dead-end
> to me. Not for the VM internals, but for the class libraries.
> I suppose that, at least, any curious java developer using
> eclipse (I don't know about other IDE's) has. Something else
> would be pretending no one ever looked at src.jar...
> Don't flame me, please. I'm just trying to address one of my
> major concerns about Harmony. If this is a MUST requirement,
> then Sun did a great job when releasing src.jar...

I haven't. I have always expected that one day I'd want to work on an
open source VM, and since I wasn't clear on taint issues I have always
avoided looking at the Java source. I've never hooked src.jar up in the
debugger, and usually I avoid installing it.

I expect other people have also been careful in that regard.

Nick

IMPORTANT: This e-mail, including any attachments, may contain private or confidential information.
If you think you may not be the intended recipient, or if you have received this e-mail in
error, please contact the sender immediately and delete all copies of this e-mail. If you
are not the intended recipient, you must not reproduce any part of this e-mail or disclose
its contents to any other party.
This email represents the views of the individual sender, which do not necessarily reflect
those of education.au limited except where the sender expressly states otherwise.
It is your responsibility to scan this email and any files transmitted with it for viruses
or any other defects.
education.au limited will not be liable for any loss, damage or consequence caused directly
or indirectly by this email.