harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@apache.org>
Subject Re: The Classpath VM interface. (Please read)
Date Wed, 08 Jun 2005 11:02:22 GMT

On Jun 8, 2005, at 12:07 AM, Phillip Rhodes wrote:

> Sven de Marothy wrote:
>

>> Geir.. I really don't get your position here. The way I read your
>> arguments are: Harmony should spend time and energy
>> implementing Sun's class library interface, which is proprietary,
>> closed-source, unspecified, may change at any time and requires a
>> licensing agreement with Sun to be practically useful.
>> And if Harmony doesn't spend time on this, it'd be 'willfully
>> restricting' the ability of users?
>> I really don't view it that way. I view it as 'Is it worth spending
>> effort on this?'.

Just to keep things clear, no one suggested we spend time to
implement Sun's class library interface.

> +1
>
> I don't claim to know the final word on the subject by any means...
> but my gut feeling is that almost nobody is going to want/need to
> download
> Harmony and then use a different class lib that the one that's
> included.
> If we pass the TCK and make a quality product (VM + Classlib) I
> believe
> people will either download and use it, or not download and use it,
> as a
> whole.  I have a very difficult time seeing the need for spending a
> lot
> of time worrying about allowing people to switch out classlibraries.
>
> I can see some very unlikely edge cases that might prompt somebody
> to mix-n-match classlibs and VMs, but it doesn't strike me as being a
> particularly important feature.

For end-users, you are right.  They'll want to get our distribution,
and just use it.

However, not everyone will be an end user - people take apache
software all the time and create derivative works, and that is one of
our constituencies here.

geir

geirm@apache.org