harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [arch] VM Interface
Date Tue, 07 Jun 2005 12:03:26 GMT

On Jun 6, 2005, at 9:11 AM, Archie Cobbs wrote:

> Peter Donald wrote:
>
>> I assume that if the Harmony JVM gets half as good as is hoped
>> there will be companys who want to adopt the JVM but continue to
>> use Suns class library so that differences in libraries don't hurt
>> their customers.
>>

> If that is a goal of Harmony then we've just made things a lot harder.
>
> First of all, Sun's class library <-> VM interface is proprietary and
> unpublished. How would people become experts in it without studying
> the Sun source code, with all the potential legal problems that
> entails?

Because it's possible that Sun finds this aspect of Harmony valuable
overall, and contributes information to help shape this.

> Secondly, you can no longer use Classpath as is, so Harmony will have
> to create a new fork of the Classpath code. Lots of work, zero forward
> progress.

No, we won't fork GNU Classpath.  I don't understand why you believe
we have to do this.

> Thirdly, what's to stop Sun from changing things around every release?
> Their API is not standardized in any way. It involves "sun.*"
> classes, etc.

Nothing.

> On the other hand, if down the road the various interested parties
> got together and said, "Let's all agree on a common class library/JVM
> API" then certainly Harmony should be involved and supportive. However
> somehow to me that seems about as likely as Toyota, Ford, and GM all
> agreeing to standardize the connection between engines and gearboxes.

That agreement is one of the things we're trying to do here,
remember.  I don't know if the analogy is right though (although
there is a bit of standardization in the auto industry).  Maybe the
computer industry would be a better example?  :)

geir

geirm@apache.org