harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Legal] Issue for Contribution Process
Date Wed, 08 Jun 2005 15:04:54 GMT

On Jun 8, 2005, at 5:09 AM, Leo Simons wrote:

> On 07-06-2005 23:55, "Geir Magnusson Jr." <geirm@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> First, as part of the Apache Harmony project, we keep a registry of
>> all 'bulk' contributions.
>>

> +1
>

>> Second, any contribution by an individual committer that is "bulk" -
>> a quantity of code that is "re-purposed", "re-licensed" or "re-
>> contributed", e.g. any bit of code that had been used elsewhere - be
>> also registered as such.
>>

> +1
>

>> 3) All Authors Are Committers
>>
>>      If you did not write the material yourself, are all of
>>      the authors committers to Apache Harmony and authorized to
>>      participate in the related project component? If not,
>>      then you should not submit this Contribution, although the
>>      Corporate Contributor License Agreement may apply.
>>

> I think we may want to define or stick to a definition of
> "contributor". We
> may have people signing a CLA and/or a code grant but not wanting
> to become
> a committer (maybe they've lost interest in the code alltogether),
> nor would
> you want people to get committer priviledges and responsibilities
> just be
> throwing some code at us.

Ah - there are a few possibilities for confusion, and there seem to
be a few scenarios where this applies :

- the person is working with a bunch of people "in the background" in
which case we don't want that contribution flow.  That would require
a Software Grant in the case where that the authors are employees of
an company (for example).

- it's an existing work, in which case the SG applies...

That said, I think we can generalize to defining the term "Authorized
Contributor" or such as one who has completed this form.  We would
want all authors of a work to be Authorized Contributors, indep of
the mechanism (incremental commit vs bulk donation)

I'll repsin and put in wiki.

>> Comments?
>>

> Looks pretty good, but what a pain to implement! :-)

Well, the ramifications of screwing up are much worse.

> I think we should strive to maximize throughput of this process.
> Using SVN
> is a good example, perhaps having some commandline tools to aid all
> this
> makes sense as well.

Yep.

geir