harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@apache.org>
Subject Re: some ideas
Date Wed, 01 Jun 2005 19:13:13 GMT

On Jun 1, 2005, at 5:21 AM, Enrico Migliore wrote:

> Hi guys,
>
> here are some ideas:
>
> 1. In order not re-invent the wheel, it would be better to start from
>     JVM Sun's implementation. The code, if  I'm not wrong, is public.
>     Or, at least, from a solid implementation.

There's a lot of complications here.

First, Sun's source is not available under an open-source license, so
we could not take the code and use it.

<bold><blink>

Of course, we'd LOVE it if Sun donated code to Apache Harmony - that
would help us go a long way towards being compatible, which is a key
goal

</blink></bold>

Second, we will have policies for committers related to exposure to
Sun's (and others!) source code.  I believe that it's Sun's intention
that if you were exposed to the source in src.jar during normal
development/debugging activities (as compared to working for Sun on
the code...), then there is no "tainting" - you can work on Apache
Harmony code.  However, we need to work out more details around this.

To give an example, the GNU Classpath project won't allow committers
to be exposed to Sun's source or specifications.

> 2. An attracting feature would be designing the Harmony JVM to be
> portable
>     across Windows and Linux.

That is one of the major drivers - to be portable across as many
platforms as possible.

> 3. I think that the C language should be used instead of C++.

See the various arguments :)

geir

geirm@apache.org

geirm@apache.org