harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Legal] Requirements for Committers
Date Wed, 08 Jun 2005 15:19:57 GMT

On Jun 8, 2005, at 8:54 AM, Nacho G. Mac Dowell wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:
>

>>     a) Having a copy of src.jar on a computer as long as you never
>>        viewed or edited the contents of the file.
>>

> How many people on this list have NEVER looked (not edited) at,
> say, java.lang.String?

I've seen it via the debugger, but no - I've never opened src.jar and
edited String.java

Thats said, this is an important issue.  We do need to figure out
what the ramifications of exposure to src.jar code are. (The
statement you are commenting on was just the first of what I suspect
will be an iteration or two...)

We want to start with the most conservative definition of "taint" and
work our way out of it.  I believe that we can work with Sun (or any
other copyright holder) to clarify the position on this matter.

> If you want people with extensive java knowledge to contribute to
> Harmony this requirement seems like a dead-end to me. Not for the
> VM internals, but for the class libraries. I suppose that, at
> least, any curious java developer using eclipse (I don't know about
> other IDE's) has. Something else would be pretending no one ever
> looked at src.jar... Don't flame me, please. I'm just trying to
> address one of my major concerns about Harmony. If this is a MUST
> requirement, then Sun did a great job when releasing src.jar...

No one will flame you - this is a valid point.

I'm pretty sure that wasn't Sun's intention, and I also believe that
Sun has no desire to assert that casual exposure to the contents of
src.jar by developers creating, debugging or running Java
applications "taints" those developers.  However, we do need to find
a clear way for them to express this, if they are interested or we
must remain conservative on this issue.  (I don't speak for Sun, of
course...)

geir

geirm@apache.org