harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [modules] big picture
Date Sat, 25 Jun 2005 15:16:52 GMT

On Jun 25, 2005, at 4:48 AM, Steve Blackburn wrote:

[SNIP]

> The following are pretty clearly first class modules:
>
>  core  VM core
>    mm  Memory management (GC etc)
>  exec  Execution engine (JIT, interpreter, adaptive policies)
>   lib  Class libraries

[SNIP]

> There are other modules which may either be a) first class modules, or
> b) sub-modules, but either way probably should be pluggable
> (sub)modules. Here are a few that come to mind...
>
>   exec.jit         Compiler instances
>   exec.iterpreter  Interpreter instances
>
>   core.scheduler   Threading and scheduling
>   core.object      Object model
>   core.classloader Class loader
>   core.os          Operating system services
>

> Thoughts?

What is a sensical way to modularize the rest? Guessing more :

core.scheduler
core.object
core.classloader
core.so
core.?

mm.objectAllocation
mm.GC
mm.?

exec.jit
exec.jit.compiler
exec.jit.compiler.static
exec.jit.compiler.dynamic
exec.interpreter
exec.?

lib.?

I know that for things outside of Harmony proper like GNU Classpath
as a class library implementation, we'd have to badger, cajole, and
do the work, but it's worth trying to come to a complete model.

geir

geirm@apache.org