harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [arch] How much of java.* and friends does Harmony need to write. Was: VM/Classlibrary interface
Date Sun, 05 Jun 2005 17:23:01 GMT

On Jun 5, 2005, at 2:05 PM, Tom Tromey wrote:

> Geir> That's not fair.  I told you that *I* think that extending
> java.lang
> Geir> is a *bad idea*.
>
> I still don't understand why you think this.
> Could you explain what problem might arise?

Sun adds "java.lang.VMObject" as a public class (ok, farfetched) or
adds it as a private class (not so farfetched).

> Geir> Also, I don't know what the 1.4 and 1.5 Java API requirements
> on the
> Geir> VM are, but given that GNU Classpath isn't there yet, isn't
> it even
> Geir> plausible that may have something to add?
>
> Yeah, the VM interface has to be extended in a few ways for 1.5.
>
> Also from time to time the VM interface has to be extended for new
> VMs, which have different needs.  This is one reason that the
> interface isn't yet stable, even for 1.4.

It would be interesting to know why and how it was extended - there's
something to learn there.  I'm also interested in getting some input
from the commercial VM developers.

geir

geirm@apache.org