harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Robin Garner" <robin.gar...@anu.edu.au>
Subject Re: [Legal] Requirements for Committers
Date Thu, 09 Jun 2005 07:48:44 GMT
> 8) Employment Limitations
>
>     Are you employed as a programmer, systems analyst, or other
>     IT professional?  If so, you may be an commiter
>     only if your employer either:
>
>     a) signs a Corporate Contribution License Agreement with Apache
>        and lists you as a designated employee or
>
>     b) submits a written authorization for your participation in this
>        project and disclaims any copyright or confidentiality interest
>        in your current or future contributions to this project.

To me, this is _way_ too restructive.  While this kind of statement
wouldn't be a problem for me currently, from time to time I've been
employeed by either a large company or the Australian Government, neither
of which have any legal rights to anything I do out of hours, but who
would have conniptions if asked to sign an agreement like this.  Simply
because the pointy haired bosses wouldn't understand what it was about,
and would go into knee-jerk abnegation-of-responsibility mode.

What is wrong with a personal statement confirming that no third party has
a claim on the IP of the contribution.  Seems to work for the CPL, but
then IANAL ...

robin