harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [arch] VM Interface
Date Mon, 06 Jun 2005 01:24:00 GMT

On Jun 5, 2005, at 9:32 PM, Peter Donald wrote:

> Hi,
>
> It seems like there is a little bit of heat being generated by this
> topic due to confusion. While Geir has not actually stated this
> anywhere I assume that the reason that he is advocating for a VM
> interface that is independent of GNU Classpath is because he has
> plans to interoperate with other class libraries.

I thought that was a base assumption of the project - that a modular
architecture provides ways for different implementations to
interoperate.

Goal #2 from the proposal :

"2) create a community-developed modular runtime (VM and class library)
   architecture to allow independent implementations to share runtime
   components, and allow independent innovation in runtime components"

> I assume that if the Harmony JVM gets half as good as is hoped
> there will be companys who want to adopt the JVM but continue to
> use Suns class library so that differences in libraries don't hurt
> their customers.

Or write their own class libraries for whatever reason.

> Consider IBM - There are a few people here (both active and
> lurkers) that are IBMers.

I'm an IBM-er but can't and won't comment on IBMs position on this.
(I work in a completely different area of the company.  It's a big
company...)

> They have publicly showed support for an open source JVM on
> numerous occasions and I am sure they would benefit considerably
> (as would Harmony) if this project was to get to that stage.
> However I suspect that it is likely that they want to stick with a
> derivative of Suns rt.jar for the moment. The reason being that
> their customers do not want to be exposed to differences between
> rt.jar and GNU Classpath. Given that IBM has already re-written
> large chunks of the JVM I suspect that over time they may move
> piecemeal to an OSS class library - at a pace at which they can
> verify it matches Suns behaviour.
>
> Another possibility would be the people from Brazil who are
> starting their own JVM and I would not be surprised if at some
> point someone wants to reimplement the class library using with a
> ASL/MIT or other license with fewer restrictions.
>
> I could be wrong but I guess the idea is to keep the options open
> and encourage collaboration with both big buisness and other OSS
> projects.

Yes - exactly.

geir

geirm@apache.org