harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Weldon Washburn <weldon...@gmail.com>
Subject [modules] classloader/jit interface
Date Wed, 22 Jun 2005 16:55:11 GMT
All,

I'd like to start interface design discussions.  Probably the simplest
interface to start with is the API between the classloader and the
JIT/interpreter.  Another reason to start with this interface is
because Harmony will need to be able to parse a *.class file before we
do much of anything else.

I have been looking at our current VM implementation which derives
from a research project called ORP.  Roughly, the major categories in
the classloader/jit interface are:

 - register JIT callbacks (e.g., notify the jit when a given method is
overridden)

 - class info (e.g., what is the superclass, which package…)

 - method info (e.g., exception info, get_max_stack, pointer to start
of bytecode…)

 - field info

 - resolution (e.g., find the hard address for a static in a
yet-to-be-loaded class)

 - access flags for Class, Field, Method

I'd like to see harmony-dev develop detailed APIs for the above.  I
think we should be able to do this within 1-2 months.

Thoughts?

     -- Weldon