harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Dmitry Serebrennikov <dmitr...@earthlink.net>
Subject Re: Apache Booth At JavaOne
Date Sun, 26 Jun 2005 20:37:44 GMT
Greetings,

Has the time been selected? I'm sorry if I missed it. Could someone
please repost it?
If not, how about Monday or Thursday (both days after 5 pm would work
for me).
By the way, there is another conference concurrently at San Francisco -
Oreilly's Where 2.0, which is about location-enabled technologies (gps,
google maps, mobiles, etc). They have a component, which is open to the
public. It's the Where Fair, on Wednesday 29th from 7:30pm to 10:00pm. I
don't think you have to register or anything - this part is open to the
public.
Here's the URL and some info:

=======================================
General Conference Info
http://conferences.oreillynet.com/where/
Location-aware technologies combined with mapping and other data are
poised to create a whole new class of web apps and services. Maps are
becoming an interface, helping us to visualize and access a variety of
data. Location is fertile ground for hackers and researchers who mash up
Google Maps with Craigslist or plug restaurant info into dashboard
navigation. Call centers, insurance agencies, transportation companies,
and retailers are finding unconventional internal uses for location
technologies too.

But where is location-based technology leading us in the larger sense?
And where's the business model beef? The first Where 2.0 Conference
brings together the people
<http://conferences.oreillynet.com/pub/w/39/speakers.html>, projects
<http://conferences.oreillynet.com/cs/where2005/view/e_sess/7098>, and
issues <http://conferences.oreillynet.com/pub/w/39/program.html> leading
the charge into this technological frontier. Join us to debate and
discuss what's viable now, and what's lurking just below the radar.

===============================
The Where Fair
http://conferences.oreillynet.com/cs/where2005/view/e_sess/7098
The Where Fair is a science fair-style event that gives participants a
first-hand look at just a few of the intriguing location-aware
technologies lurking just below the radar. Fair-goers can discuss the
ideas behind the demos with the creators, and learn how these
unconventional new technologies can be adapted into existing business
strategies. Where Fair projects are being selected from research,
academia, and yet-to-be-discovered entrepreneurs. The Where Fair
complements the conference's exhibit hall, which will showcase
state-of-the-art systems, apps, and services in the location space.

Cheers
Dmitry