harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Steve Blackburn <Steve.Blackb...@anu.edu.au>
Subject Re: [modules] classloader/jit interface
Date Sun, 26 Jun 2005 13:04:38 GMT
> Research and proven results are not and must not be mutually
> exclusive.  To the contrary!

I really want to drive this point home.

Researchers who do not value good engineering are doomed to short lived,
unrealistic infrastructure, undermining the credibility of their
research.  This is an all-too-common trap in academic research.

Engineers who do not value good research are doomed to designing second
rate outcomes.  In my experience this happens far too often in open
source projects.

Harmony seems to be a real opportunity to turn this around, combining
good research with good engineering.  The complexity of a modern VM and
the quality of current commercial VMs leaves us with little choice if we
really want to compete.

--Steve