harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Steve Blackburn <Steve.Blackb...@anu.edu.au>
Subject Re: [modules] big picture
Date Sat, 25 Jun 2005 21:13:30 GMT
Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:

> What is a sensical way to modularize the rest?

Key to the approach is precisely that we need not introspect within
modules which we will not (initially) be implementing.  Thus we need not
concern ourselves with the internal structure of the execution engine,
or the memory manager if these are modules we plan to leverage from
elsewhere.

If we focus on getting a core built quickly, then what matters  most is
a) the interfaces between the core and other modules, and b) the
internal modular structure of the core.

I think we'd all really like to see a core begin to take shape.
Understanding its internal structure and its relationship to the outside
world is the very first step.

--Steve