harmony-dev mailing list archives

From PJ Cabrera <pjc_apa...@alias.hotpop.com>
Subject Re: Apache Booth At JavaOne
Date Thu, 23 Jun 2005 20:26:56 GMT

On 6/21/05, Geir Magnusson Jr. <geirm@apache.org
<mailto:geirm@apache.org>> wrote:

 > I always thought Duke was a tooth...

I thought he looked like a Star Trek: The Next Generation communicator.

http://www.nightmarefactory.com/AB172.jpg
<http://www.nightmarefactory.com/AB172.jpg>

Duke is supposed to represent the Java technology:

http://java.sun.com/features/1999/05/duke_gallery.html
<http://java.sun.com/features/1999/05/duke_gallery.html>

When you think about Duke as a person and how the different Sun licenses
affect him, Duke is actually an indentured servant of Sun. He can only
work with platforms supported by Sun or by licensees. He can only be
"shared", as in "you can borrow my servant, but he's really mine"
shared. What a lousy way to see the world. What a lousy life for Duke.

But I heard Duke has long lost relatives around the world. Relatives
that were free. Free to work with different platforms than those
supported by Sun or its licensees. Free to be given, not just "shared",
without restriction. Free to grow with ideas different than Sun's. Free ...

But maybe that's just rumor ... or is it? :-D

PJ Cabrera
< pjcabrera at snapplatform dot org >

http://snapplatform.org
SNAP Platform - The only totally open