harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Richard S. Hall" <he...@ungoverned.org>
Subject Re: JSR277 (Modules and the OSGi)
Date Wed, 15 Jun 2005 13:50:13 GMT
Enrico Migliore wrote:

>   All new releases of the OSGi framework are, by design, back
> compatible with
>   the previous versions. Therefore, as far as the OSGi framework is
> concerned,
>   the adoption or not of the JSR277 by Sun will be a problem of the
> OSGi consortium.

Well, it could be somewhat of a problem if Sun defines something that is
in some way intrinsically incompatible with OSGi or, perhaps worse, just
defines the same thing but does it differently. In either case, two
incompatible module systems for Java will exist and will compete with
each other.

If JSR 277 is built into Java 7, well, I would assume that it will be
the one that gets used...certainly by any future Harmony.

Of course, some projects like Eclipse, might feel a little irked after
adopting OSGi as a module system, since there was no alternative and
OSGi already exists and works.

Regardless, it is too early to know how this will all play out.

-> richard