harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Phillip Rhodes <mindcr...@cpphacker.co.uk>
Subject Re: The Classpath VM interface. (Please read)
Date Wed, 08 Jun 2005 04:07:10 GMT
Sven de Marothy wrote:

> Geir.. I really don't get your position here.
>
> The way I read your arguments are: Harmony should spend time and energy
> implementing Sun's class library interface, which is proprietary,
> closed-source, unspecified, may change at any time and requires a
> licensing agreement with Sun to be practically useful.
>
> And if Harmony doesn't spend time on this, it'd be 'willfully
> restricting' the ability of users?
>
> I really don't view it that way. I view it as 'Is it worth spending
> effort on this?'.

+1

I don't claim to know the final word on the subject by any means... but
my gut feeling is that almost nobody is going to want/need to download
Harmony and then use a different class lib that the one that's included.
If we pass the TCK and make a quality product (VM + Classlib) I believe
people will either download and use it, or not download and use it, as a
whole.  I have a very difficult time seeing the need for spending a lot
of time worrying about allowing people to switch out classlibraries.

I can see some very unlikely edge cases that might prompt somebody to
mix-n-match classlibs and VMs, but it doesn't strike me as being a
particularly important feature.

TTYL,

Phil
--