harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Archie Cobbs <arc...@dellroad.org>
Subject Re: [arch] VM Interface
Date Tue, 07 Jun 2005 20:03:15 GMT
Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:

>> So in summary: I just don't get it.
>
> I suppose not - I thought the issue is really simple, and I'm sorry
> it's gotten a bit off track.
>
> We started with the idea that in part, we should look at  modularization
> of a VM platform.  One of the connection points is the  VM<->Class
> library interface, and since we have something to start  with - the GNU
> Classpath interface - I suggested we start there, and  see what
> additional information we can gather from those that have  done more
> advanced and complete implementations (Sun, IBM, BEA, HP,  etc) and with
> those considerations, produce an interface that works  for where we are
> targeting to go.
>
> No one is suggesting we standardize on Sun's interface, wait until  the
> JCP does something about this, or bundle our (or anyone else's)  stuff
> w/ Suns libraries.  (As for the latter, it would be nice if it  was an
> option for those that choose to go that route... Freedom is  good :)

Learning from Sun et.al. and taking the best ideas is all good...

My reaction was to the notion that a goal of Harmony should be to
be API-compatible with Sun. Reading the first blurb quoted above,
that seemed to be the suggestion (maybe I misread it). IMHO it's
inappropriate to spend any (more) time worrying about API compatibility
right now, when the possibility is so far off.

On the other hand, anyone who has any bright ideas for how the class/JVM
API that Classpath has now might be improved please speak up (preferably
on the Classpath mailing list, not this one?)

-Archie