harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Bruno F. Souza" <br...@javaman.com.br>
Subject Re: The Classpath VM interface. (Please read)
Date Tue, 07 Jun 2005 17:30:49 GMT
Sven de Marothy wrote:

> I really don't view it that way. I view it as 'Is it worth spending
> effort on this?'.

I understand where Geir is coming from here: even more important then
the implementation, one of Harmony objectives is to involve different
groups as well as commercial companies, to define a modular architecture
for a J2SE implementation. It could even be that a Harmony VM would be
incorporated with Sun's classlibraries to create a product by some
comercial vendor that could lawfully do that. In this view, it would be
important to have a VM-library interface that could accomplish that.

But I mostly agree with Sven: if we're going to support plugging
different libraries, we must start from somewere that is available and
documented (Classpath has such a beast) and then work with the
interested parties to expand that. For us to include the existing (non
documented/proprietary) Sun interface it would have to be contributed by
Sun into the discussion.

This could be a good way of starting to propose a Sun involvement. If
this proves a good idea it could even turn into a JCP spec as it was
suggested. If Sun is not interested, I don't see any reason to invest
effort in doing it, since it will have no pratical value.

I think it is more probable that IBM or other Sun licensee that wants to
use Sun's class libraries will just do the effort in order for then to
use the existing library, and if legally possble, contribute that back.
Without Sun's involvement, that's the best we could hope for.

And if we want a pluggable infrastructure, we would still be better off
starting from Classpath, since it already plugs into many VMs, while
Sun's library seams to not have this advantage to start with. Better
change one than many :-)

Bruno.

--
Bruno.
Bruno Peres Ferreira de Souza                         Brazil's JavaMan
http://www.javaman.com.br                      bruno at javaman.com.br
         if I fail, if I succeed, at least I live as I believe