harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <pe...@realityforge.org>
Subject Re: [arch] VM Interface
Date Tue, 07 Jun 2005 01:46:30 GMT
Hi,

Ahmed Saad wrote:

>oh well aren't both implemented according to a well-designed exported
>API. So how there would be differences that would hurt the clients of
>this API (assuming that the GUN Classpath got completed and they are
>both might be retrofitted to be easily installed in this modular
>architecture even if they depend on some native libraries).

You are right but I am not sure the classlibrary has been specified well
enough for that
level of compatibility to occur. Even if it was specified well enough
every implementation
has bugs and sometimes application code ends up relying on these bugs or
working around
these bugs (with or without the developers awareness).

Consider something like xsl and its support in java. The specification
has always been
realtively complete but in many cases certain xsl sheets will only work
with one xsl processor
or may only work with acceptable performance in one xsl processor. The
classlibrary is even
more complex than this.

Cheers,

Peter Donald