harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Archie Cobbs <arc...@dellroad.org>
Subject Re: [arch] VM Interface
Date Mon, 06 Jun 2005 13:11:49 GMT
Peter Donald wrote:
> I assume that if the Harmony JVM gets half as good as is hoped there
> will be companys who want to adopt the JVM but continue to use Suns
> class library so that differences in libraries don't hurt their customers.

If that is a goal of Harmony then we've just made things a lot harder.

First of all, Sun's class library <-> VM interface is proprietary and
unpublished. How would people become experts in it without studying
the Sun source code, with all the potential legal problems that entails?

Secondly, you can no longer use Classpath as is, so Harmony will have
to create a new fork of the Classpath code. Lots of work, zero forward

Thirdly, what's to stop Sun from changing things around every release?
Their API is not standardized in any way. It involves "sun.*" classes, etc.

On the other hand, if down the road the various interested parties
got together and said, "Let's all agree on a common class library/JVM
API" then certainly Harmony should be involved and supportive. However
somehow to me that seems about as likely as Toyota, Ford, and GM all
agreeing to standardize the connection between engines and gearboxes.