harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <pe...@realityforge.org>
Subject Re: Summer of Code, something for Harmony?
Date Mon, 06 Jun 2005 00:38:51 GMT
Hi,

Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:
> I thought about it.  I'm not sure we'd have a project for someone,  but
> if we do, it's a good thing for us to do.
>
> if not, I still urge anyone that has the time to help out in whatever
> way they can.  I know that the ASF is providing some volunteer  mentors,
> and I'm not sure if other organizations are doing the same.

I think that there is a lot of room in the reimplementation of the tools
that come with Suns JVM. A lot of them can be implemented independently
of any specific JVM. Off the top of my head some of the projects could
be (dependening on the skill level and interest of the participants).

* jconsole
* rmic
* javadoc
* apt
* appletviewer
* jar
* javah
* javap
* keytool
* jarsigner
etc.

Some of those tools probably will tie into JVM specific features but I
am sure that they could be built on top of Suns JVM and then re-targeted
for Harmony when it is sufficiently advanced.

Thoughts?,

Peter Donald