harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Josué Alcalde González <josuealca...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Linux Jar file execution
Date Fri, 03 Jun 2005 11:39:40 GMT
Michael Koch escribió:

>Am Donnerstag, den 02.06.2005, 11:42 +0100 schrieb Gerry Steele:
>

>>Has anyone got any thoughts on the possibility of making naively executable
>>jars on Linux?
>>
>>This is done on Windows through the file extensions mechanism. On Solairis
>>they use magic numbers picked up by the kernel AFAIK. I guess a Linux
>>implementation will require some kernel work too. I believe this might help
>>usability a bit on Linux. It just occurs to me that an Open Source Java has
>>a hell of a greater chance of working with the Kernel guys / Linus than Sun
>>might ever have. Another point for harmony :).
>>

>This can be done on Linux since years with binfmt. On Debian its called
>binfmt-misc. Its nothing new.
>

>Michael

In windows, you double click a .jar and it user "java -jar" to open it.
In linux, for example, ubuntu, you click, open-with "java -jar", make it
the preferences way to open jars, and you can double click it to open
the program.
I think it is enough.

Renovamos el Correo Yahoo!
Nuevos servicios, más seguridad