harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Gerry Steele <gerry.ste...@gmail.com>
Subject Linux Jar file execution
Date Thu, 02 Jun 2005 10:42:47 GMT
Has anyone got any thoughts on the possibility of making naively executable
jars on Linux?

This is done on Windows through the file extensions mechanism. On Solairis
they use magic numbers picked up by the kernel AFAIK. I guess a Linux
implementation will require some kernel work too. I believe this might help
usability a bit on Linux. It just occurs to me that an Open Source Java has
a hell of a greater chance of working with the Kernel guys / Linus than Sun
might ever have. Another point for harmony :).

Gerry

--
Gerry Steele