harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Legal] Requirements for Committers
Date Tue, 07 Jun 2005 23:46:39 GMT

On Jun 7, 2005, at 7:00 PM, Tor-Einar Jarnbjo wrote:

> Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:
>

>> 8) Employment Limitations
>>
>>    Are you employed as a programmer, systems analyst, or other
>>    IT professional?  If so, you may be an commiter
>>    only if your employer either:
>>
>>    a) signs a Corporate Contribution License Agreement with Apache
>>       and lists you as a designated employee or
>>
>>    b) submits a written authorization for your participation in this
>>       project and disclaims any copyright or confidentiality interest
>>       in your current or future contributions to this project.
>>

> IANAL, but this is a really tricky part, as different laws apply
> depending on where the contributor lives. Most countries have a
> different approach on this subject than the anglo-american
> copyright, namely the "author's right".

I know :)

We have to iterate on this (via competent legal advice) to do what's
appropriate for contributions to us, a U.S. corporation.

> For my part, living in Germany, there is no way for my employer
> (even though I'm employed as a software developer) to claim any
> rights on work I'm doing in my spare time and there is no legal way
> for me to disclaim or overdraw my author's right on any work I've
> done. Even the author's right on the work I'm doing for my employer
> stays with me, all they can claim is an exclusive right to _use_
> the code.

Ok - so that's the kind of thing we'll have to tweak.

> I have been working on a few smaller projects lately, which may be
> of interest to the Harmony project, and I would find it a pity, if
> your legal requirements makes it difficult for me to contribute.

It would be a pity, and we'll work to fix.  Note that these aren't
arbitrary requirements - we want to make it so that we're protected
in case some other "small project" of interest to the Harmony project
doesn't put us in a position where the whole thing has to be shut
down :)

What are you working on?

geir

geirm@apache.org