harmony-dev mailing list archives

From sh...@computer.org
Subject Re: [modules] classloader/jit interface
Date Tue, 28 Jun 2005 05:27:41 GMT
From: shudo@computer.org

> I guess that the reason why Jikes RVM does not have an interpreter is
> mainly its implementation language Java, not for performance:

> Imagine us implementing an interpreter in Java language.  We need
> another Java runtime to execute the interpreter, otherwise the
> interpreter has been compiled into native code. A Java runtime should
> be self-containing (except bootstrapping) and then the interpreter has
> to be compiled. We have to implement a compiler in advance of an
> interpreter.

Can we use a pre-existing AOT compiler like GCJ to compile our
interpreter? It will be difficult because compiled code has to be
compliant with the internal structure (e.g. execution engine
interface) of targetted Java runtime and other AOT compilers do not
comply with it.

  Kazuyuki Shudo	shudo@computer.org	http://www.shudo.net/