harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Renaud BECHADE" <renaud.bech...@numerix.com>
Subject RE: Summer of Code, something for Harmony?
Date Thu, 02 Jun 2005 01:50:42 GMT

> - something with http://www.snapplatform.org/   (using JikesRVM,
Indeed we need to make transition as effortless as possible.

RB

-----Original Message-----
From: PJ Cabrera [mailto:pjc_apache@alias.hotpop.com]
Sent: Thursday, June 02, 2005 8:15 AM
To: harmony-dev@incubator.apache.org; snap-discuss@lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: Re: Summer of Code, something for Harmony?

On 6/1/05, Werner Schuster (murphee) <werner.schuster@gmail.com> wrote:

 > - something with http://www.snapplatform.org/   (using JikesRVM,
 > Kaffe,... instead of SableVM or as alternatives that can
 >  be switched)... Maybe add gcj support + preinstalled (in Eclipse)
 > tools to facilitate getting a native binary from Java source code
with gcj,
 >  so a user just has to use SNAP and is not hassled with other setup
 > for gcj.

Me likey! Great idea. Already talking with my colleague Kevin and with
our student software engineer team about possibilities.

But to be honest, I'm wary of changing VM and/or compiler wily nilly. I
need a good reason why it should be GCJ / JikesRVM / Kaffe. I like
SableVM just fine. It will take a very strong case. ;-D

Oh, you said "alternatives that can be switched". I have no reason to
not like that approach! Never mind then.

I am all for providing working proof that open source Java
implementations are viable and practical. That's what the project's FOSS
JVM focus is all about. The more working VMs the merrier.

PJ Cabrera
http://snapplatform.org - The only totally open source integrated Java
Dev Environment

PS - Coming up: release of SNAPPIX 0.7 - SNAP Platform 0.7.x
pre-installed in a KNOPPIX-based live CD

PPS - Sorry, couldn't resist :-)