harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Sven de Marothy <s...@physto.se>
Subject Re: [arch] How much of java.* and friends does Harmony need towrite. Was: VM/Classlibrary interface
Date Sun, 05 Jun 2005 23:00:40 GMT
On Mon, 2005-06-06 at 00:26 +0200, Santiago Gala wrote:
> El dom, 05-06-2005 a las 01:56 -0500, Dan Lydick escribió:
> (...)
> >
> > I suppose I need to do some more homework then.
> > If GNU Classpath is used without modification for
> > numerous VM's, then great!  Ultimately, what I am
>
> A few classes need to be modified:

You're a bit confused here. Of course the Classpath VM interface
requires the VM to provide certain classes. How else would it work?

That does not mean to say that classpath itself needs modification

> - jamvm

Uses Classpath out of the box.

> - jikesRVM

Does not. It did not use Classpath originally, and hasn't migrated fully
to the Classpath VM interface.

> - sableVM (1.11.3)

Uses Classpath out of the box. SableVM bundles it's own Classpath for
practicality, and because they want some things slightly different. It
can still use Classpath out of the box if you want that.

Out of your three examples, two can use Classpath straight out of the
box. Only JikesRVM can't, and it was, after all, developed for an
entirely different class library.

> This is inconvenient for VM writers, as they must bundle or track the
> development of those classes in both libraries.

Yes. Changes to the class library<->VM interface are inconvenient.

> I think that this is why there was a suggestion to isolate all
> references in a separate "deliverable" (be it package, jar, bundle,
> whatever),

That's what the VM interface is for.

/Sven