harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Sven de Marothy <s...@physto.se>
Subject Re: [arch] How much of java.* and friends does Harmony need to write. Was: VM/Classlibrary interface
Date Sat, 04 Jun 2005 20:49:26 GMT
On Sat, 2005-06-04 at 21:44 +0200, Santiago Gala wrote:
> > So why create flexibility when there aren't
> > options?
>
> to enable the development of other options?
> without arriving to flexibility syndrome, good interfaces enable
> competing implementations.

If you're going to go off and write your own class library, implementing
the VM-specific parts is the least of your problems.

> Your question has exactly the same mindset that Sun people's comments: "Java is free
> enough, you have our implementation for free, why do you want another
> one?" :-)

No, it isn't the same mindset at all, because I can give you a specific
list of grievances I have with the Sun license. But nobody here seems to
be able to give list any specific problems with the GNU Classpath VM
interface other than "It's not ours.".

/Sven