harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@apache.org>
Subject Re: How long need Harmony to be in the Incubator?
Date Tue, 07 Jun 2005 14:08:49 GMT

On Jun 7, 2005, at 9:52 AM, theUser BL wrote:

> I have no idea about the incubator itself. I know only abou the
> main-side at
> http://incubator.apache.org/
> where also Harmony have it's place:
> http://incubator.apache.org/projects/harmony.html
>
> But how long need Harmony to be in the Incubator?

Until we have a healthy functioning community, really.  I think that
it will take a while to sort things out.

Note that there's nothing "wrong" with being here.  The major
functional difference is that we can't do an official release of
software, but we're so far away from that, it doesn't matter.

> What differ Incubaor-projects from already incubated projects?

The difference is that the incubated projects are independent, report
to the Apache board, and have an independent Project Management
Committee.

In our case, we are part of Apache Incubator, answer to the Incubator
PMC (which reports to the Apache board), and have a "PPMC", which is
a PMC that is learning how to manage itself with help from the
Incubator PMC.

All in all, the system has evolved to work very well.

> And on
> http://incubator.apache.org/projects/index.html
> stand also a place for "Failed Incubations". So is it still
> possible, that Harmony can fail the incubation?

Yes, it can fair

> Or is Harmony already incubated and it stand only still on the
> incubation-side?

We are incubated (I thought that the page update happened...), but
I'll go check.

geir

geirm@apache.org